Sunday, February 1, 2015

Super Bowl Climbing Day

Garmin stats from climbing ride today.
Re-trued up the rear SOMA wheel the other day and time to test out the new spokes on some climbing and bumpy downhills. I've played around with that new wheel rim for a year now over several thousand miles, but was never real happy it wasn't "perfect". It was always out-of-round with a little hump in it. Only noticeable to me, I guess?

Headed north via Country Club Lane. Jogged over to Jesmond Dene for a warm up climb. Then the long Champagne downhill to test out the bumps. Easy turn on Circle R with a nice relaxed climb up to Lilac Road, where I did my usual stop on a side apron to strip off my arm warmers and woolie headgear. Met a group of riders strung out on Lilac as I was blasting down. Last few riders already looked cooked! Climbed up Cooser Cyn steep climb in the 34/24T combo. A little out of the saddle work and also dropped down into my last cog (30T) to see if it works. Slower downhill than usual, as it seems the local road-racers moto faction have now discovered the Cooser/Rice Canyon Road roads. Guess Palomar South Grade was a little too busy today?

Another group of 6 riders were crossing the lower bridge as I was eating my sandwich while in slo-mode. Figured I would relax going up Rice Canyon, instead of the usual gasping effort. Only met 3 riders flying down. Finally got up to Rainbow, where I continued on Rainbow Valley Road over to Huffstatler St. Never been that way before! That led to 5th St. and the Rainbow Market. Busy place today, with a Harley ralley at the restaurant. I sat on the bench by the bathroom and finished my sandwich and 1/2 banana. Filled up my water bottles and decided to go east instead of the normal Fallbrook route.

SB on Twin Oaks Valley Road means some steep stuff!
Noticed that Camino Rainbow Road goes straight south at the 8th St. turn. I wondered where that went and if it would hook up with Rice Cyn. Road somewhere. ( After checking a map later, it goes straight south, turns to gravel and then hooks left and becomes Vanpaepeghem Lane on it's way to Rice Canyon Road. Might have to ride that someday to see if it really goes through without gates.) Been years since I've ridden south on Rice Canyon Road. Three short double digit climbs before the long downhill. Not that smooth as cut-dips were all over the road and hard to miss. Takes about 17 minutes from the Rainbow Market down to Hwy. 76. A third of the time as it takes the other way.

Haven't climb up Cooser Canyon Road from the north in years. Starts out with a slow gradual climb out of the valley and soon connects with several 12% bumps on the first section before dropping down past the black horse statue. Met one couple on the final climbing section: leader guy was calling out... "inside to outside, outside to inside" as they were making the downhill curves! Quite steady 8% here with 2 little 12% sections to keep gearing in line. The climb took about 17 minutes. The steep Cooser downhill followed and took a full minute! With the recent resurface, it was a fun, fast ride. Soon I spotted a lone rider ahead on Lilac Road.

I put the SOMA in stealth mode and climbed up on the older TREK rider, giving him a shock. Seems he and his wife were parked near Gopher Canyon Road and were finishing up their Rainbow loop. Drove in from Del Mar. His wife was out ahead and we soon caught up to her on her matching TREK bike. Chatted with them till the Hwy. 395 turn. They said they had done several riding trips to Europe and the Alps. Also did the recent Grand Fondo. Both were nearing 70 and looking to retiring soon. I handed them a Rando card with my info on for future use. I turned and headed for Bonsall.

Steady headwind all the way along Camino del Rey. Passed by a tri-rider hammering along on a new looking rig. He went up Olive Hill Road and I turned into Bonsall McDonald's. They had ice cream this time so I got my normal HF Sundae for $1.08. Ate that with my Almond Butter Crackers. Sat around too long before leaving in the warm sun. Time for some more climbing.

Went straight over the bridge onto River Road. Decided to turn left onto Little Gopher Cyn. Road. Hadn't been this direction in years either! Next up was a eastward swing on Gopher Cyn Road. Didn't remember what that was like. At least there was a decent bike lane for most of it. One longer climb and I finally made the turn onto Twin Oaks Valley Rd. I knew this was lo-gear time now!

Elevation profile from Super Bowl Sunday jaunt
I always liked this section when going the other way. Tough climbing now as there were several sections of 14%. At the top near the "Private Road"sign, several cars were parked and people were cutting/stealing the silver leafed plants! Longish, bumpy downhill next and brakes were working good. Looks like a new gate installed at the bottom from last month's trip through here. Gate was closed and new sign on the gate about video surveillance! Walked around the gate and proceeded down the hill past a few homes to the quarry. Road is all uphill now and today there was no traffic, unlike weekdays with the quarry trucks. Most grade was in the 6-7% range with a few 10% on the curves. After the top, it was a nice slightly bumpy downhill to the turn.

Straight down Twin Oaks is easy riding with a slight downhill to the 7-Eleven near the Post Office. Finished up, I turned north again for the final ride home.Good day today and handed out a Rando card too!

Clear skies all day
H: 86     Lo: 59
Wind: NW-10mph

68 miles

-randorides

No comments:

Post a Comment